Hi Moira,

For understanding OSM and the editors, there is a ton of information
available online.
The Missing Maps website links to some tutorial videos:
http://www.missingmaps.org/contribute/#learn

And LearnOSM has details for everyone from beginners to advanced:
http://learnosm.org/en/

The Missing Maps website, on the same page as the materials about hosting a
mapathon, also has a directory of people who have offered to help answer
questions about organizing mapathons. You could search the list and try
reaching out to a few: http://www.missingmaps.org/host/#helper-map-contents

Good luck with your mapathon. Great to see more people getting involved.

All the best,
Dan