Chiming in my +1 to everything recently said here about OSM's TIGER data (and
cats and such) in the USA.

I'd like to remind everybody that most RAIL data in the USA are largely from
that same TIGER import.  Since about 2014, USA rail data have improved to a
moderate degree, though spottily, especially with the advent of OpenRailwayMap
and OpenPublicTransportMap rendering overlays.  Somewhat using a
state-at-a-time approach (Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico...), we have
been improving rail data as we document how in our wikis.  To get started in
YOUR state, please take a look at
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States_railways and begin to fall
down the rabbit hole.  Rail mapping is fun!

SteveA
California