On 4/22/17 4:18 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Given the inconsistency of TIGER data, I would not be surprised if no
> automated effort will be ever attempted to deal with that dataset ever
> again.  That said, there are tilesets out there that show TIGER data
> that thas a newer name or geometry than what OSM has, though this
> itself has it's pitfalls as I've noticed a tendency for such datasets
> to false-positive on a name because OklaDOT renamed something and
> whatever Census-taker mapped it in TIGER kept the old name.
when assessing TIGER, it's good to keep in mind that it's a moving
target. the
copy that was imported into OSM was the 2007 version, which was midway
through
the improvement project, and the reason why some parts of TIGER are much
less
bad than other parts of TIGER in OSM.

there are various layers available which render newer TIGER so it can be
used as
a backdrop image for editing, i sometimes use these when cleaning up older,
obviously bad TIGER.  and TIGER really is improving. a major part of
that is that
the Census Bureau is trying to work with local GIS departments more and
reduce
their direct involvement in maintainence, which seems to me to be the
right way
to go.

richard

--