In Germany we say: don't touch an object just for cleanup.

Cleanup without any other modifications (e.g in geometry) will change the timestamp of that object (last changed!!!) and somebody may think: this way has been modified last week - so i don't need to check the geometry or the speed limit or something else.

Ok, if you really change something, THEN you should cleanup old/unused tags.

Regards
walter, aka wambacher