Am 05.07.2017 um 17:27 schrieb Greg Morgan:

> Am 01.07.2017 um 08:33 schrieb Simon Poole:
>
> ...given that we have a known US based SEO company that has created
> (literally) 1000s of such accounts (but with slightly less spammy
> edits), and "we" haven't taken any action, why should we in this case?

I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree, "we" includes everybody in
OSM, nobody seemed to be in the slightest upset about that when I
published the diary post and nobody seemed to be inclined to run after
the SEO  company in question.

> How do you know this is all coming from a US based Simon?  How does
> targeting US locations make it an US based company?  If it the same
> occurred in Europe, then I am sure you would have more care and
> concern than you are showing here.  Dude I often cringe when I reas
> what you write in email.

Because I manually checked a largish number of the companies (the
subjects of the ads) last year and they had a trivial tell tale
attribute that pointed (as in 100% sure) to an US based SEO company.
That doesn't imply that the accounts that triggered this thread (which
were created before we saw the big influx in 2016) are from an US
company and I didn't say anything of the sort. Just that we didn't go
after an identified non-offshore offender at the time, so there is no
point in suddenly getting upset now about others playing the same or
similar games.

The other point is that we haven't seen a similar increase in fake
accounts in Europe, not that we don't have SEO companies here, but they
seem to operate differently, and indeed a number of them have made
contact with the local OSM communities first before adding anything (and
some haven't).