Boundaries below admin_level=8 are still being discussed.  There was some
discussion on this list as well as the OSM wiki

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:United_States_admin_level#Nine_state_improvement

Having lived in Pittsburgh, I remember that the neighborhood boundaries are
well defined and many of the street signs have the neighborhood names
printed across the top of them (epecially on more major roads with bigger
signs).

If you were to divide up Pittsburgh into smaller administrative units, how
would you do it?

Pittsburgh reside within the Allegheny County