While it might be uncommon for two-digit Interstate highways to change
their directions, it's quite common for three-digit ones to do so, and
it shouldn't be treated any differently.

Some examples of changing direction, all of which are mapped as a
single relation for the state they're in, with cardinal directions for
the roles.

I-275 (Cincinnati)
I-270 (Columbus)
I-465 (Indianapolis)
I-495 (Washington, D.C.)

None of these have separate relations for the opposite directions,
just a single relation for the whole highway in that state.

Some other examples:

- I-64 in Virginia. South of I-264, it loses East/West signage (this
fact is not currently mapped in OSM)
- US 98 in Florida changes from EW to NS and back to EW (this fact is
not currently mapped in OSM).
- Ohio SR 104 changes from North/South to East/West near I-71, just
south of Columbus (mapped as cardinal directions for roles).