On 22/09/2017 09:46, Jack Burke wrote:
My questions are:

* Should this lane be drawn as a separate way? Legally, you cannot enter or exit the lane except at the designated sections, so drawing it separately makes things simpler for routers. If it's drawn separately, a pair of motorway_link roads would need to be added at several places (the dashed-stripe sections). The Lanes wiki page[4] seems to say that it should be drawn separately: "If one or more lanes of the road are restricted to high-occupancy vehicles (typically vehicles with 2+ occupants, although this varies by jurisdiction). Most useful if entrance/egress is permitted at any point along the route; if entering or exiting the HOV lane(s) is only permitted at certain locations, modeling the HOV lane(s) as separate ways is preferable." (Even though that says HOV, the same reasoning appears relevant for toll.) Does everyone concur with this construction?

I might be inclined to map the lane as a separate way, but only because I don't know of any routers that currently recognize the change:lanes tag. [1] Either way, it makes sense to treat HOV and toll lanes similarly.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:change

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us