On 06/12/2017 17:49, dilys...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with Pokémon Go but a mapper has been adding parks on top of existing boundary relations (National Parks, National Forests, Wilderness Areas) in a systematic manner in Northern California, creating quite a mess.

Hello US folks,
The mapper who made these original edits is long gone from OSM, so what remains is largely a "data tidying exercise".

For info, I've looked at Shasta-Trinity National Forest and deleted the main _duplicate_ Shasta-Trinity NF way http://osm.mapki.com/history/way.php?id=487220873 (the original http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/70010/ hasn't been edited for 12 months as so is presumably OK).  I'll also look at the smaller duplicates added by http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/47829109 .

It'd be great if other people could have a look at some of the duplicates highlighted within the parent post with a view to removing duplicates in the other ones too.  Someone's already (correctly in my view) removed "leisure=park" from at least some of these.

There's also scope to map the landuse etc. within the national forest boundaries such as http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/418301052 better, but that will need more local mappers with local knowledge (of whom there are never enough to go around).  Currently in that example there seems to be only http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/64298706 , which is another import.  It's clear for example that the trees in the imagery at http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=17/40.61757/-122.94615 don't match what has been imported.  Areas such as this are a good drive from major population centers, but there are newish mappers popping up around Eureka and Redding so it'd be great if they continue and in the future add what they know about these areas too.

Best Regards,
Andy Townsend (DWG member and very occasional hiker in Northern California)