First, as they are public (not private) streets, anybody has the right to
traverse them.  Yes, a local ordinance might (in the near future) prohibit
access for "cut-through," it is the right of the municipality to pass such an
ordinance and for local police to enforce it.  "We don't want the mappers to
put these data into their maps and navigation apps" simply isn't going to
happen, as we (mappers) are not going to be "muzzled:"  these are real data in
the real world.  Censorship is not the answer, rather it is proper tagging
which feeds routing algorithms.

I might suggest a solution OSM might consider can be to tag access=destination
and/or residential=living_street.  There might also be a note tag briefly
explaining the local ordinance which gives rise to such a local preponderance
of access tags.  But the streets should not "be deleted" as the mayor and
residents wish.  With the right tags, the apps' routing algorithms won't
include these streets, and the problem (as it is perceived as coming from
"navigation apps") is effectively solved.

SteveA
California