first things first. the import guidelines are here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

second, the licensing is critical. make absolutely sure that the state
has a clear statement
of public domain, CC0 or equivalent license.

probably the most valuable import would be conflated address points and
building footprints.
NYC did such an import, and Mass as well. they have import pages that
are worth looking over.
Jason Remillard has tools from the Mass project here:

https://github.com/jremillard/osm-import-toolkit

you can use the import-us mailing list to kick things around and discuss
what you're
trying to do. you need to prepare a page describing your import proposal
and it will
eventually have to be brought to the import mailing list for review. the
better the job
you do before going to the import list, the better off everyone will be.

i'm currently developing a plan for a NYS address points import
(hopefully with building
footprints) and so i'm in a somewhat similar place right now.

richard

On 1/8/18 7:54 PM, Russell Meier wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> I am new to the idea of discussing additions to OSM and like to do my
> best to follow best practices in suggesting an import. I am not sure
> were to start.
>

> I live in Tennessee USA. The State of Tennessee has posted a number of
> datasets without any license restrictions on this site
> tn-tnmap.opendata.arcgis.com . I would like to suggest some of this
> data would be useful in open street maps. For now I would like to add
> a building outline data set to OSM and a state parks trails data set.
>

> As I am new to the idea of putting up data for discussion before it is
> added to OSM I am not sure what information would be best to include
> to begin a discussion/ review process. I would appreciate some
> suggestions advice as to what information to include in this
> suggestion / request for review.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Treldin
>
> (Russell Meier)