The case of non-hard-surface roads brought this to mind.  There are a few
roads across the Adirondack Park that are open to the public (in summer)
and have endpoints that look like

http://i65.tinypic.com/2enq9ew.jpg

In this case, I already recognize - tag the two cabins (they are a ranger
station, not often staffed), the gate, the outhouse, the well, perhaps the
signage. But what to do about the kiosk/register?

The requirement is that vehicles (or bicycles, pedestrians, horses, etc.)
must stop, and the party leader fills out an entry in the book that's kept
in one of the boxes on the kiosk. (There happen to be two books at that
location; one for vehicles that are merely traversing the road and another
for hikers, skiers, and riders who are venturing off-road into the
backcountry) The understood procedure is that it's all right to pass as
long as the gate is unlocked, and the expectation is that drivers will
leave the gate as they found it - close it if they opened it.

Is there an OSM tag for "this is where you stop and execute formalities"
that I've missed? I know that calling it out as an access restriction on
the road has been controversial, and I don't tag that because any scheme
gets someone up in arms. For this reason, tagging that registration is a
requirement to drive on the road is Out Of Scope. I'm simply trying to tag
the on-the-ground "this is where you stop and register."

By the way, I'd tag the road in the picture as at least
highway=unclassified and possibly even tertiary. In the seasons when it's
open (usually late April to early November, depending on snow conditions)
it's the main route between the villages of Indian Lake and Inlet, and when
it's closed the trip is many miles longer. The registration requirement is
largely to make sure that drivers have all the warnings in front of their
faces - they're going to be spending the next hour driving on an unpaved
road across some very forbidding country, with no services available and no
mobile phone coverage nor radio call boxes. (It's also there because Search
and Rescue isn't going to give quite the same treatment if someone goes
missing without having signed in.)

There are simpler but similar setups on some footways - where the hiker
must not only register, but take the carbon copy along as proof of
registration. (The plan is that sometimes the number of forms will be
limited as a primitive means of 'first come, first served' capacity
control. I don't think it's ever actually got that far.)