Hi,

On 06/09/2018 04:31 AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> I have objections to the use of Slack in particular, and to the use of
> real-time communication tools in general (not just Slack but other tools
> like IRC, HipChat, Rocket.Chat etc.).

I think that while it would be ok for any of these to be used by a
smaller group to actually do some work, the smaller group should come
back to the mailing list for anything of importance. (The same applies
to in-person meetings btw, for example if you were to try and get an
import approved at a SotM conference or so.)

For example, a process where someone pops up on the mailing list and
says "I have this data but I don't know how to import, can someone
help", and then a smaller group huddles together on Slack/IRC/in a pub
to flesh out a proposal, which then goes back to the mailing list for
approval or feedback, would be totally ok and likely more productive
than going every step on the mailing list. But what you can't do of
course is say "we discussed this on Slack and decided we want to do it
that way, now be quiet you weren't there" when someone suggests an
improvement on the list later.

Apart from the reasons you mentioned, having a record is also an
important factor. Anything that has gone on on these mailing lists is
practically archived forever and for all to see[*] but when I'm told "we
discussed this on Slack" I have no chance of checking if there was
indeed a discussion or just one guy with a big mouth and two of his pals
applauding ;)

Bye
Frederik

[*] minus things like the EU data protection regulations forcing us to
remove someone who wants to be forgotten - but they will live on in my
personal email folder, har har.