On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 10:21 PM, Bryan Housel <br...@7thposition.com> wrote:

> > I'm also interested in how others feel about Slack. Is it good for the
> community or should we look elsewhere?
>
> Glad you asked!  I think Slack has changed the way I work for the better.
>
> Here are some advantages..
> * lower barrier to entry for less technical folks

Signing up for a mailing list is really that hard?

> * works well for both sync and async chat

I completely disagree on the async chat. Maybe it would work if people took
advantage of the conversation threading features that Slack and some other
clients offer but they rarely do. Therefore you're stuck scanning pages and
pages of comments looking for needles in haystacks and trying to
reconstruct the conversations.

> * decent search

It has search, but the fact that Slack's (and many others are the same)
search is a walled garden makes its use limited.

> * everyone is on it
>
> I really can’t imagine going back to something else.  I’d happily pay for
> it if they asked me to.
>
> There are currently over 800 people on the OSM-US Slack, and over 3000 on
> the GIS Spatial Community Slack.  I have no idea how many people are
> subscribed to the talk-us mailing list.

800 people signed up for an account, but only 20 or so have a client open.
I hadn't even logged in since September 2017 when this discussion started.
Doesn't really sound to me like everyone is making use of Slack.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.