On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 4:28 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > TL:DR: The closest answer to Clifford Snow's original question for New
> > York is http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/inventories/details.cfm?DSID=932
> > which is virtually certain (the law, as always is muddy) to be
> > ODBL-compatible (and in fact, there is a colourable case that it is in
> > the Public Domain.) The digital raster quads available from
> > https://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/quads/ (these are State, not USGS!) are
> > also a potential data source for tracing, and again, aren't deeply
> > mired in the legal swamp.

I did some spot checks on the file cited above, and it's better than I
remembered. Comparing it with some of the places that I've been
meaning to return to and field-survey, it's much freer from
hallucination than TIGER. It's a bit out of date (which means both
that new development is missing and that a few abandoned roads are
there), but it's not horrible (while the TIGER-derived data are indeed
horrible).