The Articles of Confederation included the text, "The Stile of this
Confederation shall be the 'United States of America'"

The Constitution omits any declaration of the correct name and style,
and in fact uses both styles, even in the Preamble. as Daniel Koć
observes.

There are conspiracy theorists who assert that the two are different
entities - they spout bizarre nonsense like
http://supremelaw.org/letters/us-v-usa.htm and http://usavsus.info/ .
(Ordinarily, these are the 'sovereign citizens' who believe that they
can get out of paying their taxes if they come up with the correct
magic words to invalidate the whole body of Federal law. They do not
enjoy very much success in court, but that doesn't keep them from
putting reams of material up on the Web.) Their usual contention is
that the 'United States' is some sort of cabal or corporation that
established the Constitution for the separate entity of the 'United
States of America.'

In practice, it's simply brief writing. The phrase, 'of America,' is
omitted when it is clear from the context, but it is never incorrect
to add it.

More complex is whether the term is singular or plural. It was
reasonably consistent in the early days of the republic that one would
write, 'the United States ARE'. After the time of Reconstruction,
there was a much stronger identity as a nation, and it became
conventional to write, 'the United States IS.' There is a difference
there: the first refers to a collection of separate States, while the
second refers to a singular unified nation. Those who draft the laws
have followed the common speech, giving the conspiracy theorists more
ammunition in the claim that the 'United States' and 'the United
States of America' are separate entities.