On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:39 AM Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the original harmful edit was made by user "MedwedianPresident" in
> changeset https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/61555047 20 days ago. It
> was then reverted by naoliv a day later:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/61556585.
>
> naoliv also blocked the user: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/2141

Many thanks to the hopelessly overloaded DWG for handling this.

A problem here is that it gives us a tremendous black eye in the
press.  I wonder how, moving forward, we can lessen the chances of
this sort of hate speech propagating off the project. Other projects
have found that having a mandatory review and moderation process for
new users is helpful, because the sort of person who leaves this sort
of mess is usually creating a one-time account to do it, rather than
having made earlier sound contributions.

If my experience with other open-source and crowdsourced projects is
any guide, it only takes a incident or two like this for The Powers
That Be in many organizations to start forbidding the use of
open-source material "because there's no quality control and too much
legal risk."