A lot of people have (quickly) chimed in about this; political boundaries,
admin_level and cities extending into counties usually gets to be a "hot" topic
as people have a lot to say or strong opinions on these.

I and others recognized this years ago and what has emerged in OSM are two
wikis, one on admin_level in the US, the other on "boundaries."  The former is
quite comprehensive, perhaps it could be called "prescriptive" (here is how we
SHOULD tag) and almost begins to approach a master's thesis in political
science.  (OK, I exaggerate a bit).  The latter is more "novice-oriented," has
user-friendly graphics and is what might called "quick and easy," it is
certainly more "descriptive" (here is how we DO tag).  Both wikis have "settled
down" in the last six to eight months, affording us some stability for
reflection.  I think the many authors of these like where they have "landed,"
and the community doesn't seem to be changing them or discussing them as if
they need (much) further change.

These are, respectively:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level
and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States/Boundaries

They both point to each other.  The first one has extensive footnotes.  The
"Consolidated city-counties, Independent cities" section mentions that Dallas,
Texas even extends over FIVE counties, and links (click on "hundreds of US
cities") to wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._municipalities_in_multiple_counties
that further explains this.

We have patient, open-minded and dedicated-to-getting-it-right wiki authors in
this project who create and update comprehensive and friendly wiki.  Thank you
to all of them.  I know my OSM experience would not be anywhere near as rich if
I didn't have so much excellent wiki to read.

SteveA
California