Hi,

On 6/15/19 4:29 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm not against companies for hire mapping, but...do we have any
> guidelines actually requiring them to accurately geocode what they're
> bringing?  Kind of feel like most of my dedicated mapping time is now
> spent dealing with SEO spam and low quality brand location data.

We have organised editing guidelines that cover these kinds of jobs. The
guidelines set some quality expectations and also request that people
explain what they are doing *before* they do it, allowing us to ask
questions like "how do you intend to geocode stuff" etc.

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Organised_Editing_Guidelines

It makes total sense to point out these guidelines to any commercial
mappers you encounter; if nothing else, this will divide those who want
to play by the rules from those who don't give a shit.

Not following the organised editing guidelines is not a rule violation
in itself, but if not following the guidelines leads to bona fide
mappers like yourself saying "most of my dedicated mapping time is now
spent dealing with SEO spam and low quality brand location data." then
this is clearly a case where the guidelines need to be enforced, and I'm
more than happy to block any and all organised mapping teams who
willfully disregard the guidelines and cause trouble down the line
because of that.

The guidelines are fairly new and haven't "arrived" in the community the
same way the import or automated edit rules have, but I hope that
awareness about this is growing, and everyday hobbyist mappers will
start pointing out these rules to organiesed editors they encounter.

Bye
Frederik