On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:41 PM Bradley White <theangrytom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > For example, US Hwy 101 is the main route connecting the cities (e.g.
> > Eureka) and towns along the coast of northern California. Right now
> > only some segments are tagged as highway=trunk. I would like to
> > upgrade all of it to highway=trunk, up to Hwy 199, where most traffic
> > leaves 101 and heads to I-5, at Crescent City.
>
> I did this a year or two ago, then changed it back following the
> previous time this discussion came up last year. Someone else has
> recently changed it back to trunk in its entirety as you describe (as
> well as US 395, CA 70); I explained in a changeset comment that the
> "major intercity highway where no motorway exists" definition (per
> Highway:International_equivalence) is contentious and not commonly
> used, but that I have no plans on reverting their changes.

Also language introduced by NE2 when he changed the wiki to justify his own
national mass edit on the US highways.

> Caltrans doesn't appear to have "divided" as a requirement for an
> expressway build, or even necessarily a freeway (See:(California)
> State Highway Map 2005; David Rumsey Map Collection) - these terms are
> used to describe the level of access control on a given highway. US
> 101 through Redwood Ntl Park is signed with "Freeway Entrance" and is
> fully access controlled, but is an undivided 4-lane road. Many 2-lane,
> undivided roads are considered expressways in California, for example:

- Vasco Road connecting Antioch & Livermore
> - Portions of CA 4 west of Angels Camp
> - CA 108 east of Sonora (fully access controlled 2-lane road)
>
> Once you know what to look for - reduced access to adjacent
> properties, smoothed road geometry (esp. when bypassing old highways),
> hard shoulders, usually 65 mph - they aren't too hard to differentiate
> from conventional 2-lane highways with no access control. Where these
> are obvious I generally tag them as trunk roads as opposed to primary.
> Specifically in the case of CA 108, I reject that a fully access
> controlled two-lane road is anything less than a trunk, if we have
> decided to use 'trunk' to mean 'expressway'. California doesn't use
> AASHTO definitions so I won't either.

I think that generally fits what would be tagged as a trunk as well (fully
access controlled but single carriageway and AASHTO's definition).

> Reno, NV has a couple urban arteries that straddle the divide between
> trunk and primary (specifically: McCarran Blvd/NV 659, Pyramid Hwy/NV
> 445 north of McCarran, Veterans Pkwy, foothills portion of Mt. Rose
> Hwy/NV 431). These roads carry traffic at speeds higher than other
> nearby arteries (45-55 mph as opposed to 40 mph). They are built to
> the highest level of access control specified by Washoe RTC -
> generally no direct access to properties, except for retail/commercial
> areas (where access is quite frequent), or rural areas where no other
> roads provide access to properties. They range from undivided w/
> center turn lane to divided with concrete jersey barriers & headlight
> blinders (similar to a freeway). The majority of these roadways have
> bike lanes, and many have sidewalks. They are quite similar to San
> Jose's expressway system, except for a lack of grade-separated
> interchanges. Are these primary, or trunk? I don't really know. They
> currently sit at an awkward mix of trunk and primary depending on how
> definitively myself and others think they are "expressways" or not.

I'd probably consider those as expressways.

> I don't deny that "divided highway with partial control of access" is
> a rigorous definition, with which it is certainly possible to tag
> unambiguously with. I just question whether it is a good choice in the
> US to use 'trunk' to mean 'expressway' in the same way that 'motorway'
> means 'freeway', when the US has a formal freeway system, but lacks a
> formal expressway system. Most other countries that also lack a formal
> expressway system do not use the trunk/expressway definition (UK,
> Canada, etc). In my area, sticking strictly to "divided highway with
> partial control of access" means very few highways at all will see
> 'trunk' tagging. Certainly, this reflects what's on the ground here if
> we use this definition - but why use a definition that either has to
> be used ambiguously or seldom at all?
>
> I support orthogonalizing expressways & trunk by using
> 'expressway=yes/no' for access control (maybe
> access_control=full/partial/no?), 'highway=trunk' to mean non-freeway
> road with national-level importance, and using 'oneway' to denote
> whether a highway is divided or not. Then let rendering decide how to
> draw the road from there. Want to see formal expressways drawn
> separately? 'Expressway=yes' & 'oneway=yes'. Want a more general view
> of the most important US highways? 'Highway=trunk'.

Feels like conflating expressways and primaries.