On 2019-09-15 09:50, David Ankin wrote:
Hello all,

I was hoping to hear what worked for other folks who were trying to get a local nominatim instance installed for house number level geocoding in the US (or, in my case, a particular state). I setup 3.3 nominatim by checking out from the branch, and downloading PA excerpt from planet.osm from geofabrik, and used import-full.style.

The end result for me was that i could look up streets, but not house numbers. some house numbers were present, but most houses were missing. I am trying to import TIGER data next, to see if that works. But it really should be in the regular planet file, in theory, right? without having to rely on an out-of-band data source.

TIGER roads and boundaries have been systematically imported into OSM, but TIGER addresses (house numbers) have not. To the extent OSM contains any addresses in Pennsylvania, they were either entered manually or imported separately (possibly from TIGER but much more likely from another government source).

Local mapping communities across the U.S. are working on imports that will eventually improve address coverage. In the meantime, I've heard that the main Nominatim instance does pull in address ranges from TIGER as a fallback. You might also take a look at pulling in data from OpenAddresses <https://openaddresses.io/>.

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us