I've recently been working on adding administrative boundaries for
townships in Michigan (old USGS paper maps show the boundaries, I'm tracing
those). Previously I've concluded that counties in Michigan don't really
extend into the Great Lakes. The sheriff has jurisdiction on the water
(extending into the water near adjacent counties), but that's about the end
of it. For the most part Michigan counties are modeled like that, using the
shoreline as part of the boundary.

What I am wondering about is whether townships should also use the
shoreline, splitting it into quite a few more pieces than currently exist.
The alternative would be a ways that share nodes with the shoreline. I'm
leaning in that direction but I figure it will be a pretty noisy change, so
I'm asking what people think before proceeding.

Max