Every National Forest has an administrative boundary - they can be
downloaded here:
https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/webapps/EDW_DataExtract/. Accept the
disclaimer, click the button with the scissors in the top left corner,
choose the national forest you want, select 'Administrative Forest
Boundaries' (preselected), choose your file format, and open in your
favorite GIS program. This boundary is what is in OSM, or at least
what should be. These boundaries can also be viewed using USFS Topo
maps (https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/states-regions/states.php)

You will see that sometimes private land punches a hole in these
boundaries, and if so it should be in OSM as such. But you will also
see that sometimes (often times in the west coast), private land
*doesn't* punch a hole in the boundary, and thus there *shouldn't* be
a hole in the boundary in OSM despite being a private in-holding. This
is what I mean by these conflating landuse and jurisdiction. Private
land inside NF boundaries does not automatically mean there's a hole
in NF boundary.

Please do not add holes in the boundary unless they are officially
designated! Otherwise there is no point to keeping these
administrative boundaries in OSM.