I personally dislike "trunk".  Its definition is vague and leaves a lot to
interpretation (and argument).  It doesn't really add anything to the
information on the map, IMO.  A US Highway is a US Highway regardless of
how much traffic it carries or how many stoplights it has.

Maybe if the definition of "trunk" was solidified to something more
specific, it would have a more valuable use case.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 5:15 AM Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:

> On 12/17/2019 10:19 PM, Evin Fairchild wrote:
> > some US routes are more important than others and lumping them all as
> > primary doesn???t make any sense;
>
> The arguments here about relative importance of parallel routes makes
> sense.
>
>    Some massive changes such as in
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/78620805 are raising roads which
> have no other major choices, but are apparently just because they are
> the most important.

Eric Ladner