I now reiterate the fundamental struggle in this discussion (which can be
summed up as "both"):

highway=trunk is another level of granularity (above primary) to describe "high
performance OR high importance roads" (emphasis mine).  Additionally,

(from the US-specific definition from our wiki):  highway=trunk is a "surface
expressway:  a relatively high-speed divided road (at least 40 MPH with a
barrier or median separating each direction of traffic), with a limited amount
of intersections and driveways; or a major intercity highway."

Similar to "descriptive vs. prescriptive," this semantic "struggle" might be
described as these two definitions being "relative vs. absolute."

Some people say a gravel road (or even a dirt road, if that dominates, say, in
a developing country) is important enough to be tagged "trunk," for example in
Alaska.  That is using "trunk" in its relative sense:  relative as to what is
also meant by primary, secondary, etc. IN THAT LOCAL/REGIONAL CONTEXT.  Some
people say "trunk must be divided with a barrier/median and medium-to-higher
speed..." (or fill in some hand-waving additions).  That is using "trunk" in
its absolute sense.

"Both."  Yes, both.  I'll say it again, OSM, I doubt it very much, will ever,
EVER get away from how we now define "trunk" as "both."  Look at our wiki and
see how there are differing definitions for differing countries and see how we
define it relatively.  Look at our wiki's text and see how we define it
absolutely.  Both.

Can we (as humans) and routers (as software) learn to live with this apparent
dichotomy?  I can.  I believe the rest of us (humans and routers alike) can,
too.

SteveA
California