Try network=US:US:Historic on your route relation.  Might not render, but
you can at least give renderers *something* for renderers to latch onto if
they want that information. ref=US Historic xx seems to be the way tagging
for that if you want to go that route.  I recommend, until we can finally
kill the route-tagging-on-way "ref=*" legacy method, to implement both,
since it makes it more obvious if the ref=* tagging gets munged later.