This can certainly be done using the same nodes. It's cleaner, but takes a little bit of effort. The four links below will show you a 4-story mall I mapped and most of the features use the same nodes for all four levels. Using ID, the mapping can get a bit hairy after two levels. After four levels, it's impossible to understand what's being done. However, the other links below help make it much easier to work with multi-levels. It takes practice, but it's rewarding.

OSM ID:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=20/8.97655/-79.51742

OSM.cz

https://openstreetmap.cz/edit/#background="">