Paul Johnson says

Ultimately consider adding a route relation with network=US:NSFR:Forest
Name:FH/FR as well so we can finally kill off route tagging on things that
are not routes.

I am not doing any mapping for forest roads, but the above caught my eye. I
am doing a lot of bike path/trail mapping as well as mapping cycle routes.
I understand the idea of adding a route relation. What confuses me a little
above is:

 so we can finally kill off route tagging on things that
are not routes.

I think you might be saying that there are ways that seem to have a route
name in the name field and they shouldn't. Instead they should have the way
be part of a relation that has the name of the route.

Please be patient if I am using some wrong terms above. Still learning
the OSM lingo. I am really just trying to understand the last part of what
you said. (Especially if you think it might apply to cycle routes too)