Once I restarted JOSM, the old USGS Topo layer disappeared and after a
longish search through the Imagery Preferences, finally located the new
layer. I'd have never figured out what went wrong had Todd not posted this
question. The folks who did this also did a great job of hiding the new
layer. I use those maps all day, every day. Sheesh!

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska