Steve,

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are saying, but:

1) Not all "inholdings" are completely surrounded by the National Forest,
they are "bites" off the edge in some cases.  I don't think one can have an
inner ring and an outer ring which are at all coincident (they can't share
an edge) and still have a valid multipolygon.
2) Holes (inner rings) are not part of the polygon.  Thus if one did an
analysis of (for example) a series of points, any points that fall in one
of the holes would not register as being inside the multipolygon, even
though they are inside the outer ring.

Mike