Kevin wrote::
A nit: most 'improved' gravel roads are surface=compacted.  'gravel' is
like rail ballast; a compacted surface ordinarily has a mix of fine gravel
and even finer material such as sand, and is rolled. Americans will often
refer to a compacted road as a 'dirt' or 'gravel' road but the difference
is like night and day when you're driving on one!

I must admit, this one really got me. For much of life when I lived in New
York state, where Kevin and I are from, locals called all unpaved roads
"dirt roads". When I started using OSM, I realized that the definition of
"dirt" here is closer to "ground" so I began to use either unpaved or
gravel for the surfaces of rural roads in Alaska and Thailand. Eventually,
I found out that gravel means the type of stones found on railroads, which
is big chunks of crushed rock and that the surface of the improved roads I
was tagging was actually surface=compacted with tracktype=grade2. The type
of mapping I do is 90% armchair mapping so it's difficult to ascertain
these characteristics so I default to surface=unpaved in most cases. Alaska
is an exception because most rural roads below the tertiary class are
well-prepared, unpaved compacted surface roads. These I feel confidant to
tag with surface=compacted and tracktype=grade2

My 2 cents.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 12:20 PM Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> If you are using JOSM there is a USFS road layer. The color of the way
> indicates surface and highway classification if I remember correctly. I
> posted the legend on Slack a couple of years ago.
>
> The TIGER import data quality varied from region to region. Even today in
> Washington State it's bad, so bad that I don't recommend using it. My guess
> is that it's low priority for counties to update Feds, especially when
> their budgets are already tight. There is even one county in Washington
> State that they don't even have a current road layer.
>
> Best,
> Clifford
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM <tj-osmw...@lowsnr.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Editing in Boundary County, Idaho in the Panhandle, I've been extending
>> the forest landuse area around Bonners Ferry and have come across a
>> difficulty in classifying forest roads.
>>
>> It seems that many have been automatically imported and have
>> highway=residential, which is just plain wrong.
>>
>> For roads that appear metalled (paved) and/or access mines, quarries,
>> communication towers etc. I label highway=service, for roads that are
>> unpaved or sometimes seem to almost fade out I label highway=track. For
>> roads that appear to be public access (e.g. to go to a lake) but are
>> obviously even more minor than tertiary roads I label
>> highway=unclassified.
>>
>> Is there a more consistent recommended method?
>>
>> The US Topo map gives forest road references so I add ref FS xxxx.
>>
>> TIGER seems to be at best very coarse, at worst fictional.
>>
>> Thanks.

> --
> @osm_washington
> www.snowandsnow.us