On September 1, 2020 at 8:07:46 AM PDT, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In many of these cases OSM has an opportunity to improve the government data.
>  A mapper can analyze the conflict, sort out the different data sources,
> perhaps visit the site in the field, and produce a result that is more
> accurate than any of the government data sets. It's been pretty quiet, but I
> know that there some corrections from OSM have flowed back into some of the
> government data sets that I use.

Starting a new thread.

I echo this sentiment exactly as having taken place in California and in my
experiences with OSM.  This is most certainly a longer-term endeavor (over
several, even many years), but improvements in alignments between data
components which have been entered into OSM from my County GIS, GreenInfo.org's
publishing its "CPAD" (California Protected Area Database, published
semi-annually, see our wiki) and other sources HAVE INDEED resulted in data
improvements:  OSM influences CPAD, resulting in data improvements, CPAD
influenced County GIS data, resulting in data improvements, later versions of
these (County GIS and CPAD) data influenced OSM all over again, resulting in
data improvements...and upward, upward and upward the spiral of more accurate,
better-aligning data goes:  both private and public.  OSM gets the results, so
do others.  Win-win.  Taking OSM out of the equation by asserting "these data
don't belong in OSM" stops this improvement pipeline (wholly unintentional on
my part, but certainly noticed) in its tracks.  (Yes, some data belong in OSM,
some don't).

This is a seldom-talked about real benefit OSM offers to both non-profit based
data aggregators (like GreenInfo and their CPAD) and public ones (like County
GIS departments).  Yes, a relatively high-degree of accuracy and careful
mapping, skilled volunteers in OSM (who likely don't have the credentials of
professional surveyors, but who are aware of basics like monument markers,
"metes and bounds" in deeds and the like) ARE required.  So, even volunteer
"citizen mappers" can go a long distance at improving data, simply by doing
solid mapping in OSM.  And by remaining a database of high quality and careful
curation, OSM earns the respect of other GIS professionals (public and private)
who (over the longer-term) find the puzzle-pieces fitting together better.  The
examples are numerous, thank you Kevin for providing several.

OSM will likely never become "authoritative" in the sense a cadastral database
does for tax or land survey purposes, but as we keep our quality high, keep our
mapping careful and pay attention to things like survey markers (we do), other
mapping professionals will continue to look to us as "worthy enough" to include
as a layer on their systems, for example.  OSM does not have the goal of being
so "authoritative," nor should it in my opinion, but speaking personally, I do
strive to map as accurately as I possibly can.  Our data being widely and
deeply respected is a great result OSM can be proud to continue.

I can't count the number of times I've (more recently) heard from Land Trust
mapping professionals, local public GIS professionals, non-profit GIS
professionals and more "OSM is a fantastic and amazing resource, there is
nothing else like it and the world of mapping is a far richer place because it
exists."  (Or something very much like that).

Bottom line:  please don't scoff at the possibility that your careful and
accurate mapping might influence "official" or "authoritative" GIS data.  It
can, it has, it does and it will continue to do so.

SteveA