James Umbanhowar <jumba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Something else to consider is that even though there is a perimeter for
> a fire, there can be highly variable impacts on the landcover within
> the perimeter.
> Some areas may have not burned, other areas only burned
> the understory, some with limited burning of trees and other with full
> tree killing canopy burns.  The effects of these will also depend on
> the specific species that burn.  So to convert and entire area inside a
> fire perimeter to one land cover without extensive surveying would
> likely be in error.

(Please take further discussion of this thread to the tagging list
https://lists.osm.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-September/055496.html ).

James, this is all well known and part of the intended solution (to better map)
here, thank you for pointing this out.

There is no intention to "convert an entire area" inside of the fire perimeter,
rather careful RE-mapping of SELECTED areas which have ACTUALLY burned (e.g. a
natural=wood area is shrunk to where trees remain and "no data" or "blank map"
is what remains of the burned area).  This will likely best emerge when newer
imagery data become available.

> It seems as though the perimeter tag is the most verifiable at this point.

Yes, to be clear:  this fire=perimeter polygon intends to delineate the area
where, as they become available, newer imagery data which display fire damage
should be used to update the map.  In short, the polygon conveys "here is the
EXTENT of the area that burned:  while it isn't yet clear whether existing
landcover natural=* tags need to be altered, that is likely, as there was a
major fire inside of these bounds."  That's all, really.  This is a 140 square
mile rural area, formerly heavily/primarily wooded, not a few blocks of
residential or commercial landuse, as are many typical urban fires.  "Huge" is
about right.

At least one person (a HOT technical manager, also a firefighter) said (on the
tagging thread and in off-list emails to me) that such polygons can serve a
historical purpose by remaining in OSM, though I see little purpose in doing so
for extended periods of time, believing that after the map is updated with
newer imagery, the polygon's (initial) purpose is exhausted and can be removed
from OSM.  His arguments for why it should remain have to do with better
building polygons enclosed by the perimeter during HOT re-mapping and into the
re-population and re-building phases in landuse=residential areas that happen
after a major fire.  As a firefighter (and HOT mapper), he finds such data
helpful, as in that case, a fire=perimeter polygon remaining is valuable
history.  That could last years, perhaps decades, I'm certain the effects of
this fire will be long-lasting:  many of the millions of trees that were
destroyed were several hundred years old.

Either way (the polygon is long-lasting or ephemeral to the extent it aids
better landcover mapping), it is a lightweight data structure, tagged with only
three tags (fire=perimeter, start_date and end_date), it remains invisible to
all renderers (that I know of) and is intended to aid mappers determining
"should re-mapping of landcover happen HERE, in or out?"  I find that balance
of data vs. usefulness "worth it."

SteveA