Over the past month, I have mapped across the state of Iowa, attempting to
add athletic facilities which were absent from the map. I went county by
county, using Overpass to identify where likely locations were, ie parks,
schools, etc. I checked each of these locations and added any pitches that
were not already present. Additionally, if I came across any major or easy
to correct issues, I went ahead and fixed the problems.

My objective was to improve the quality of athletic facilities across the
state so that I can use the data for a school project.

Since I visited pretty much every incorporated city in the state, I had the
opportunity to gauge the state of the map across Iowa.

Some of my general observations:
1. The vast majority of cities have had 0 edits other than imports and
mechanical QA edits.
2. TIGER did not include alleys. Many cities did not have their alleys
drawn in. Waterloo/Cedar Falls has a population of ~120,000 and still did
not have their alleys drawn in.
3. There are still tons of nodes that should be converted to areas. Some
schools, cemeteries, parks. The majority of protected areas are still nodes
despite the DNR owning significant quantities of land. Compare OSM to
https://iowadnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=f9161b90cddb4fcfb35a96901882a4b7/

Some sport specific observations:
1. There are still tons of unpaved running tracks in Iowa, mainly at small
schools. In my years of running, I have only ran on a single cinder track.
2. Most rubberized tracks are black, then red, then blue. There were a few
purple tracks. A very unusual colored green track,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/783085755
3. There are very few irregular shaped tracks. Here is a rubberized,
rectangular track, https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/773898697
4. Baseball fields come in all sizes and shapes. Some small towns of 100
people have high quality fields.

Just thought I would share my notes in case anyone was interested.

Thanks,
Karson
karsonkevin2