Brendan,

I've half attempted contacting a few municipalities, without much success...
Knysna, Stellenbosch, Hermanus seems to have outsourced their GIS
departments to a private company...

Emailed Joburg municipality and within minutes received an almost
threatening email from a private company asking where we (OpenStreetMap)
got our "base" mapping data from and letting me know that the company
has private contracts with unspecified municipalities and we would not
be able to get access to their data.

Situation today, is you can get mapping data from many of the
municipality, modify it, transform it, hack it up and release it very
easily. Civil engineers, estate agents, cartographers / mapping
companies, (open source) developers etc are doing this daily...

Once the data is under license from a private company, the data likely
becomes a walled garden. Pay or stay out and don't think of distributing
unless you pay megabucks more and stick to the license agreement. Forget
about innovating unless you have very deep pockets.

/ Grant