Hello Justin,

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM,  <justin.arenst...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> [3] Tracking crime reports, from both police & private security companies,
> and mapping it so that it is accessible to ordinary residents so they can
> begin to understand the underlying trends, hotspots, etc. I'd like to use
> this project to take the interactivity one step further, so that in addition
> to them being able to send in crime reports, the site / map will also send
> back alerts to users when a crime happens in their neighbourhood.

Eblockwatch.co.za already collects crime reports from its users and
alerts them when they receive new reports. It's interface is however
quite terrible. Even worse is the fact they send a lot of
sensationalist emails to their users and the only way to block that is
to unsubscribe completely.

Something that combines the visual presentation of
oakland.crimespotting.org and the ease of use of
openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org will be ideal. I am however already
spending to much time writing openstreetmap software and my knowledge
of openlayers is too limited.

Regards,
Nic