2010/12/1 David Richfield <davidrichfi...@gmail.com>

> >> Microsoft has given OSM permission to trace from their Bing aerial
> images,
> >> subject to certain restrictions on the editor being used. For the
> >> foreseeable future it will only be available under the Potlatch 2 editor
> >> which is currently in testing.
> >
> > Wow, this is brilliant news!  I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
> >
> > What's behind this move?
>
> To answer my own question: Steve Coast joined Bing as Principal
> Architect on Bing Mobile.

Microsoft was one of the big sponsors behind last year's State of the Map
conference and they served OSM derived tiles since. I guess they (like
MapQuest) have continued to loose marketshare to Google. They must see OSM
as a way to stay relevant. In the long run it also helps them to reduce the
licensing fees they are paying to NT/TA.

--
The images are much more up to date than Y!. So now we can properly map
Cosmo City and a few other new developments.