Hi Robert,
That looks really cool.
We recently got a very generous ongoing data donation from a tracking
company that is providing us with anonymised tracking data for all vehicles
they provide tracking for. I think a combination of the data and your tool
would make for something really useful. The problem is the volume... any
thoughts on how that could be handled? Maybe something similar to
http://maproulette.org that can automate the detection of problems,
visualise it and leave it as something to fix/investigate for users.

Greetings from Iceland, no South Africa. Wait the UK actually. ;-)

Regards

On 22 December 2013 18:27, Robert Scott <li...@humanleg.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello Iceland,
>
> My GPS trace analyzer, That Shouldn't Be Possible™ has recently extended
> its reach beyond the british isles & benelux to cover South Africa too.
>
> Its purpose? To accept a GPS trace of a drive/cycle you've gone for,
> analyze the journey against the routable OSM database and, if appropriate,
> say "That Shouldn't Be Possible". Used like this, it can find quite a lot
> of routing problems or road segments missing from the database.
>
> It can also be used to take the hard work out of checking the OSM database
> against your trace after a long journey by flagging up sections that don't
> quite agree with OSM.
>
> Not quite sure whether you've got that complex junction interlinked and
> tagged right? Have a gps trace or two that traverses it? That Shouldn't Be
> Possible might be able to help you.
>
> An example analysis result can be seen here[1]: I've left a nice great big
> error (visible as a spike in the plot) in the middle of it as an example
> where the trace seems to traverse what's marked as a path.
>
> I've written a lot more about it on the wiki[2], so I'm not going to
> duplicate all that blather here. It's still in what I would call a
> prototype stage, but it works surprisingly well for "motorcar" traces (less
> so for bicycle so far, though I would say that's largely the fault of the
> current state of OSRM's bicycle profile). Even so[3] I encourage mappers to
> try it out[4] on one of their traces.
>
> Merry xmas everybody.
>

> robert.
>
> [1] http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/tsbp-proto/779918/2/2/