I've do similar but tag the boundary as place=neighbourhood; name=*. I omit
landuse=residential because that's probably already tagged as part of a
larger area.

The internal streets aren't necessarily living_street. Occasionally you'll
need highway=residential or even highway=unclassified (for larger
complexes).

Tag the entrance with barrier=gate access=* as appropriate.

//Glen (Tinshack)