Hello Community,

I was contacted by Aaron Young (copied) of kaartgroup.com a while back here
is an extract from his email:

My organization, Kaart.com <http://kaart.com/> is currently in the process
of updating road names for South Africa in OpenStreetMap.org
<http://openstreetmap.org/>.  You can see our most recent work in Cape Town
and Durban.  Would you be able to provide street names to fill in missing
names for users of OpenStreetMap?  We are more than happy  to do the import
ourselves if you are able to provide the data to us.  We are most
insterested in East London, Grahamstown, and other rural towns in the
Eastern Cape.
http://qa.poole.ch/?zoom=8&lat=-32.51065&lon=27.48572&layers=TFFFB0

In response I provided him with the following information:

The Provincial Department of Transport embarked on a project sometime in
2010 to 2014 - here is the project website - http://www.roadclass.co.za/

The individual files per municipality are found in this link -
http://www.roadclass.co.za/index.php/kmz-downloads/

I have though created a geopackage available here -
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S2IzsppDZlXXLCRp5q6Q2pC5ZF83dGv1

This data excludes the datasets for Nelson Mandela Metro and Buffalo City
Metro.

I generally use this data with OSM - please review it. In South Africa data
generated by government is Public Data, but if you have licensing
considerations I can try and clear them with the Provincial Department of
Transport.

Please also not a while back I facilitated the provision of address data to
the openaddress project for the entire country based on data from
Statistics South Africa.

What if we leveraged this data to get road names?

I am also available to work with your team to address any other issue you
might have in improving the data on OSM.

We then subsequently agreed to move this discussion to solicit ideas and
involvement by the community.

Regards,

Sindile Bidla