And dab plus? That sounds all well and good, but are they going to use this as
an excuse to lower the bit rates even more? It will probably end up sounding
like xm or sirius. Low quality and more quantity.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: talk2
  Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:00 AM
  Subject: Re: The Talk2 List Uk people please read!

  Basically I agree with most that the article says. We are the only country in
Europe that has DAB, which broadcasts in such horrible low bitrates. However I
don't agree with the author's view that DAB system should be completely
switched off. In stead, we should totally change the rules. First of all let me
say that even some BBC stations sound much better than most commercial ones
even if they broadcast 128 kb/so because they use different encoders. Also, DAB
broadcasts in 196 kb/s the only 2 that do them being virgin radio nationally
and capital radio in London sound quite good. I think first change that needs
to be made that the multiplex system should be  scrapped all together and
licences should be given per station bases. It should also be regulated in the
way that there's enough bandwidth. It is possible, but it could only happen if
ofcom would change the rules and put minimum for music station to be 196 KB/s
like it is in Spain and quite a few other European countries. However since
ofcom likes to lick asses of commercial fat corporate managers who obviously
only care about profit rather than sound quality it is unlikely to happen. I
blame that idiot Ralf Bernard a lot for this, because he's the one who pushed
digital so fast and he's the one who had an idea of cramming as many stations
as possible on to muxs. So now he has screwed up the state of digital radio in
this country, made capital radio drop record amount of listeners since their
existence, totally fucked up, pretty much automatised XFM making in to a
station with hardly any DJs and play about 30 same songs all day long from what
once was probably the best rock/indie/alternative station in the world, he
resigns. Is there anyone to save us? I still keep hoping for both digital radio
 in general and XFM to improve, to stand up and fight this corporate bullshit,
but I doubt that I got much to hope for.
  Vanja
  http://www.sudar.co.uk
  http://mashupradio.net
  MSN/windows live messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  AIM: vanja121
  Skype: vanja121