Ah. I like in shoutcast that you can see song history and do similar station related things, haven't seen that in icecast yet, but maybe it's some optional thing and none of the icecast servers I've seen use it. hmm . Getting things through svn is great, if you can compile source code which may or may not work on your machine for stupid reasons.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Perdue" <patr...@pdaudio.net>
To: "talk2" <talk2@AndreLouis.COM>
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: The Talk2 List hi

Also, Icecast doesn't have that stupid stream burst delay/buffer thing that SHOUTCast has, which you can't do much about, so streams are a lot closer to realtime, since the server isn't throwing huge bursts of data at the start of a stream (unless you really want it to). Plus, no ogg support for SHOUTCast, and ogg at low bitrates beats the pants off mp3 in the same vaine, especially if you're using newer versions of the codec, such as AoTuV 5.7. The only cool thing about SHOUTCast over Icecast is that it has a bigger online directory, and the server is easier to set up, since it's a lot less configurable or fun in general. It doesn't need any dependencies, you just run the binary and it just sort of works. Icecast does need several dependencies, but, if you don't want to play with the latest bleading edge SVN, there are packages of it. I don't think there is an Icecast 2.3.2 package though, you may still need to use SVN for that.

Less delay mainly, and the ability to stream multiple streams off of the same server rather than having a different one for each one ----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Roberts" <bigd.vi....@gmail.com>