Many years ago I worked for a company that had a tape backup system they sold with their computers.

Due to a firmware screw up for fewmonths the backuptapes were written blank and thenwhen they were verified they verified as good.

Fortunatelynone of the banks that were using the systems had a problem in that few months.

In this case Schrödinger's backup was dead,alive and invisible.

Regular testing is important.