You could short out the antenna but that could burn out the transmitter and things around it.

You could change the software on the phone and remove the code to start up the cell transceiver.

If you remove the sim card then the phone will not login to any carriers network and will not contact the internet. The phone will still be able to make emergency calls and arguably you could be tracked via the IMEI and possible GPS feedback that is supposedly part of the emergency call service. In theory the carriers could let non sim enabled phones to login to their networks and then mask them out but there would be little value to this so I doubt that they would carry on some truly surreptitious tracking just for the joy of it.