On 2018-03-23 12:50 PM, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
A couple days ago I got a Best Buy flyer, and they have this item:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-zenscreen-15-6-fhd-60hz-5ms-gtg-ips-lcd-monitor-mb16ac-dark-grey/10737845.aspx <https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-zenscreen-15-6-fhd-60hz-5ms-gtg-ips-lcd-monitor-mb16ac-dark-grey/10737845.aspx>?

It's a portable IPS LCD screen from Asus.  I have a similar item from about three years ago that has two connectors, one for USB power-only and the other for VGA/HDMI.  There were other models at the time that used only one connector, USB for both data and power - but that required a driver (and would have been painfully slow if it was USB2).

But now here's this new model: it's one connector only, USB-C.  And presumably USB3.1.  And USB3.1 can carry video.  But at this point I get lost among the standards and their implementations and which one supports what.  I have an Asus Zenbook (it's Linux-only at this point) that has a USB-C connector, but I suspect it's USB3.0.  So the first question is: how do I check that?  Second, does Linux support video-over-USB3.1?  Do I need a special cable?  Is this "Thunderbolt?" How can I check if my machine would support this?

The Spec you linked say it's DisplayLink, which is the software based video solution that requires a driver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayLink

USB-C is only a specification for a cable and connector, and somewhat agnostic about the data communications spec used across it. The cables are of high enough quality that they can support multiple data communications specs, generally referred to as alt-modes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alternate_Mode_partner_specifications

Thunderbolt 3 for example co-oped the USB-C cable spec for it's cables, much like in the previous generations it co-oped the mini-displayport cable spec.

Intel makes a point that a port carrying Thunderbolt 3 should also be cross wired with USB 3.X and Display Port hardware to output those signals as well.

So if you want a monitor that uses a Type-C connector, your looking for a display-port monitor. Which your not likely to find in the portable market yet.

--
Scott Sullivan