I have a Rogers-supplied router and cable modem package, which twice has shown significant usage when I was out, once with the original unit and once with their replacement Cisco.  That makes me suspicious of the current state of authentication for wi-fi schemes (and I use the term "schemes" advisedly: they used to horribly leaky (;-))

What's a good approach? I have considered

 * MAC address lists,
 * no wi-fi (strictly wired doesn't work with solid concrete walls),
 * a second router with a more secure protocol (/is/ there such a
   protocol? And will my wife's Mac speak it?))
 * something I haven't thought of

--dave

[The usage never runs me over my limit: I think someone is using me for downloads that might put /them/ over their limit]

dav...@spamcop.net           |                      -- Mark Twain