On Mon, Sep 17, 2018, 11:37 AM Dhaval Giani <dhaval.gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://lwn.net/Articles/764901/

>>> To tie this all back to the actual 4.19-rc4 release (no, really, this

>>> Jono Bacon's comments on it,
>>>

>>> https://www.jonobacon.com/2018/09/16/linus-his-apology-and-why-we-should-support-him/
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> Another interesting article that I read over the past few days was a
>>> Python keynote talk,
>>> https://snarky.ca/setting-expectations-for-open-source-participation/
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> On a more personal note, I have seen "hostile" behavior on many mailing
>>> lists, which has led me from withdrawing from participating on them.
>>>
>>> We tend to attack developers without thinking of the impact on them.
>>>
>>> This list is an example of attacks on systemd. While Lennart doesn't
>>> read this list personally, I do know of the impact systemd criticism has
>>> had on him. He has shared recordings of death threats because of systemd. I
>>> think, we can all agree that, systemd, or pulseaudio did not make linux
>>> worse, at least enough to justify death threats.
>>>
>>> They haven't even made it bad enough to justify the constant attacks on
>>> the software.
>>>
>>> Remember, if you have a better idea, you have the _freedom_ to implement
>>> it. You, however, do not have the freedom to expect them to drop what they
>>> want to do, to fix your problems, and when they don't want to, be subject
>>> to attacks from you.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> I do hope, Linus taking some time off will make things better for him,
>>> and by extension Linux.
>>>

>> The Poettering hit man story is four years old. It didn't stop him from
>> his own rant, they are after all just words.
>>

> They are just words for you. But you ignore a phone call from an unknown
> number. And then you listen to voicemail, and it a voicemail threatening to
> kill you because of systemd, at that point in time, it has stopped being
> mere words. Yes, 4 yrs old. Has it stopped having impact? No.
>

>> https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/lennart-poetterings-linus-torvalds-rant/
>>
>> "Open Source community is full of a******s, and I probably more than most
>> others am one of their most favourite targets. I get hate mail for hacking
>> on Open Source. People have started multiple 'petitions' on petition web
>> sites, asking me to stop working (google for it). Recently, people started
>> collecting Bitcoins to hire a hitman for me (this really happened!). Just
>> the other day, some idiot posted a 'song' on YouTube, a creepy work, filled
>> with expletives about me and suggestions of violence. People post websites
>> about boycotting my projects, containing pretty personal attacks."
>>
>> Also on a personal note, you contacted me offlist to chastize me about
>> some trivial comment I made about pulseaudio and at least one other person
>> has named you pubically on this list for the same type of conduct.

Apology accepted and my own is offered up to you in return, for my own
insensitivities in posting. Sometimes I forget the first rule of digial
comment sensibility, wait and think before you hit send.

>> Now you make this post as a maintainership note about why you leave
>> hostile lists. What exactly do you define as hostile behaviour? I'd define
>> it as being trolled offlist by someone who harvested my email and decided
>> they had the right to contact me, just because they could.
>>
>> Systemd is a thing. Writing publically about a thing, even in criticism,
>> even if you use words you can't say on TV, is so far removed from your own
>> private ad hominem remarks offlist that I am raising your poor conduct, to
>> remind you; just because you post a couple of true facts, that doesn't
>> authenticate a third postulate you have formulated as some sort of
>> gratification index.
>>

> I am just going to ignore the last bit. I bring up systemd, because it is
> quite a bit my baby as well. I take every attack on it personally (rightly
> or wrongly, and that is my problem, not _yours, as you have quite pointed
> out later on in your email). Which quite brings to my point, you have folks
> who are directly impacted by your words. Am I right in defending my baby?
> Am I right in getting defensive about it? Am I right in not being able to
> separate out the project from the person? These are all personal questions.
>
> All that matters is, everything people say, has an impact, and a result.
> You might call it illogical (in your opinion), but it has happened. There
> have been times where I felt I could participate in discussions and talk
> about it.
>
> Spectre/Meltdown was one such. I talked about the importance of it, and it
> was immediately shot down as corporate conspiracy. Of course, we are still
> dealing with the fallout. What is my relation with this? For the last many
> months, I have been part of the response force for my employer to deal with
> the intel flaws. But feeling (note the word) attacked, doesn't make me feel
> inclined to share. Certainly not my loss.
>
>  I'm not exactly sure what it is that you maintain
>

> I don't actively maintain anything right now. I took time off for mental
> health reasons. Part of it is physiological, but a lot of was exacerbated
> by working in open source. That is a different story, and not the topic of
> this email. If you want, ping me offlist, and I will send you a more
> detailed email.

Stress is one of the most enduring problems in the modern corporste world.
Sorry if I have added to your own at this time. I do appreciate the fact
that it takes a particular kind of fortitude to continue to participate
under such adverse conditions and I hope you understand my regret is
sincere.

>> but I think both Lennart and Linus can look after their own issues
>> without your or anyone else this lists intervention.
>

> Of course they can. And once again, it is not a question of your, or my
> intervention. It is a question of communication. Do your (trivial) words
> have an impact? Are they going to have a positive impact? Are they going to
> benefit the community?
>
> If there is something I am starting to believe this week, it is this. Open
> source is a great model for development. It is a horrible model for humans
> though. We have this project which is developed for free (in the monetary
> sense), in the open, (ideally) in collaboration with the world. But all you
> are getting is negative feedback in return. I cannot think of a single
> model, where that is a success story.

We all learn from our own and each others mistakes.

>> Free speech is a cornerstone of progressive thinking, feel free to ignore
>> this post.
>>

> It is the greatest power out there, and always remember the spiderman law
> when this is the case. With great power comes great responsibility. Use
> your free speech responsibly.

Not really a big reader of comics myself, but think I get what you are
saying.

> Dhaval

---
Talk Mailing List