On 8/14/19 10:34 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
On 2019-08-14 10:28 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
I don't know the reason for this.
The motive is to squeeze a bit more life out of IPv4, when they should
be putting the effort into moving to IPv6.  IPv4 hasn't been adequate
since it became necessary to use NAT to overcome the address shortage.
This was a hack that caused it's own problems and now we have hacks on
hacks, to try to keep IPv4 going long after it's best before date.

To squeeze a bit more life out of IPv4 these addresses would need to be routable over the internet at large and I am not sure that will be easy to do.

As much as I might like to think linux development drives the internet companies insist on spending lots of money Cisco like gear and if Cisco won't route 0.0.0.0/8 then it just ain't going to happen.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
al...@netvel.net              ||