On 2020-05-27 12:39 p.m., Russell Reiter via talk wrote:

I also had a weird experience when I used a line adapter to plug a guitar into the line in and play out the speakers. After I defined the loopback device for pulse audio I'm not sure what it was but, when I adjusted the potentiometers on the guitar for base, treble and volume, I seemed to be able to tune in an audio broadcast channel and got that signal out the speakers. I know it was a broadcast, I heard it clearly, it was a one sided conversation, but in a language I don't know.

The guitar has big coils: the circuit has high impedances, and in the case of a connection to a regular audio line input, it's not optimally terminated.  And bingo, an impromptu radio receiver.  We used to hear a HAM radio operator key up transmission through our subwoofer. You could see his antenna rising up over the houses a block over.

So my thought was to get an audio breakout to usb via the Thunderspy port, but that would defeat the purpose of using the Realtek codec features of the board. What I really need is a good quality junction between the guitar phono I/O and the computers stereo line-in.

Guitar in to a mic preamp is not as exciting but is fairly clean.  From there you can go to line level with impunity.

Linux, Linux, Linux. There. :-)

Cheers,
Mike