On 2021-01-19 4:49 p.m., Giles Orr wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 16:21, David Collier-Brown via talk

On 2021-01-19 7:19 a.m., David Collier-Brown via talk wrote:
What is something that I can make fail, either audibly or visually?
Showing my grandmother ping statistics isn't going to work (;-))
Video call over 2.4 GHz wifi, then start the microwave. Glitchtastic
every time.
I'm not sure the Linux networking changes help with that (;-))

--dave
Joking aside, is there a famously _bad_ video or audio site, one that
everyone hates?

Or a setting for a service that makes it fail?
Here's an idea - no clue if it's a good one.

Get yourself access to a low bandwidth connection: if the following
table is correct (dubious source and video compression always varies
depending on content) then you can easily saturate a 10Mbps DSL line
with a 4K video:

Resolutions Required   Bandwidth Required
                                       H264        H265
1280×720(HD)              3Mbps    1.5Mbps
1920X1080(FHD)         6Mbps     3Mbps
3840×2160 (UHD)       25Mbps   12Mbps
4096×2160 (4K)           32Mbps   15Mbps

(source: https://www.synopi.com/bandwidth-required-for-hd-fhd-4k-video/
in case the table got mangled into unreadability. )

Maybe you have a way to fractionalize your own network connection if
you don't have access to 10/1 DSL.

With YouTube, you can select the resolution (although it's not very
granular at the top end).  If you can toggle CAKE on/off, see if the
saturated line becomes unsaturated.  If not, reduce the video
resolution and repeat.  YouTube's "Stats for Nerds" may also be
helpful?

Aha, their stats aren't something I've looked into. Thanks!

--dave

dave.collier-br...@indexexchange.com |              -- Mark Twain